Monday, June 22, 2009

First, a little background...

I'm currently a Senior at IUPUI studying Computer Science. About a year ago, I learned that IUPUI had a Computer and Information Technology program, which had as one of its focuses Web Development. As much as I would have loved to switch degrees right there and then (as web development is my real passion), I found that there was very little overlap between the two degrees. The advisor I spoke with said that the number of credits I would be losing would be roughly equivalent to the cost of a new car. On top of that, since I was losing so many credits, I would be in school for several semesters longer in order to complete the various new pre-requisites. Needless to say, I stuck with Computer Science. I'm just glad I'm done with the Math courses.

Anyway, what with my Senior status, I'm hoping to graduate in December of '09, at the end of the Fall semester. The CS Capstone Project is one of the last "core/required" classes that I have to take before I can graduate -- and IUPUI only offers that class in the Spring. Of course, I find this out shortly after my theoretically final Spring semester has ended. After talking with my advisor, I've arranged to take the course as independent study over Summer Session 2 (June 29 to August 10, 2009) under Mihran Tuceryan, one of our CS professors.

Of course, Summer 2 doesn't start for another week, but I've already started on the project months ago...

(Note: Once the project is finished, I will try to find some way to allow the source to be downloaded. It'll probably become a sourceforge project, if nothing else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment